[mythtv-users] Silverstone Lascala 17 Case

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 19 23:17:49 UTC 2006

Matthew Geier wrote:

> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>>> I've got a LC11m. Very nice. The loudest noise is from the video
>>> card, my vendor couldn't get a passive video card that fitted - the
>>> PCIe slot is to close to the lid.
>>> Ill probably replace the card with a passive one anyway and cut a
>>> slot in the lid  (which is on the bottom - the LC11 is an 'upside
>>> down' chassis).

>> How is your vendor fitting this card?  This case is supposed to use a
>> 90 degree pci extender so the card ends up horizontal. Even an AGP card.
>> OR do you have a completely different LC11M than I do??
>

>  The PCIe riser puts the 'back' of the card very close to the lid of
> the case, there isn't enough clearance for the back fins of a passive
> cooler.
>  In a standard case with the card vertical, there is usally some what
> more space at the 'back' of the cards than the LC11 allows.

If you don't mind playing with the PCIe riser (that is, you can get a
replacement) then you might think about grinding 2 mm off the bottom of
the riser card fingers. That will give you 2 mm of extra vertical room.
Next choice, if you do not use all three of the card slots is to use a
flexible riser between your MB slot and the card. That is. the card will
inhabit the spot where the first PCI card would go.. thus giving you a
full 3/4 inch of clearance vertically.

I have a PVR500 and HD3000 in a Via SP13000 in this case. It was not
designed for a mini-itx board and will not fit the usual risers, but the
flexible riser takes care of the physical orientation and lineup
problems. A riser from VIA takes care of the electrical aspects.

>  My biggest gripe with the LC11m case is that the blue LEDs are too
> bright. I've got a bit of black tape stuck over the power LED at the
> moment. (Pending sticking a resistor in there to drop the current to
> the  LED...)

Swap the leads for the hard drive LED and the power LED. The hard drive
LED is not as 'loud'... That's what I did.

>  I also have black electrical tape stuck over the front USB ports, as
> my wife complained they were mucking up the look of the otherwise
> black front panel. They should have used USB ports with black inserts
> instead of white, or put them on the side where the audio/firewire
> ports are.

I just colored mine with a Sharpie magic marker!.

>  I also went for the LC11 case as it's a better fit with the VCR and
> the DVD player, the 'full height' cases were just too imposing and 'pc
> like'.

And now I am browsing for a used black faced stereo receiver/amp.. My
case does not go with my silverSony amp.

Geoff