[mythtv-users] widescreen from pvr-350

Curtis Preston cpreston at glasshouse.com
Thu Jan 19 03:39:45 UTC 2006

Then you said:
>or a video card with DVI and component output. The advantage of the VGA

>converter is that its guaranteed to work and be easy to setup, they're
just
>more expensive than a new Nvidia card with component output with a
>dedicated HDTV tuner chip (so you use the tv-out functions
>and just set it to "HDTV").

Absolutely more expensive.  I was just looking to minimize the number of
things that were hard to install.  Getting MythTV to record HD was hard
enough (still not done).  Didn't want to spend another few weeks getting
it to display it. ;)

You said:
>no need, just look at the X log file, both the NVidia and ATI drivers
will
>print out the EDID settings received from your TV. Then use one of the
>plethora of web-based X config utils to create the modeline.

I'd be curious to see what you're talking about here, but unfortunately,
the Sony HDTV doesn't say much via that route.  It's "not intended for
use with a PC," so they're NO help.  Also, I still like how I can fine
tune the settings with powerstrip.  Just seems a lot easier.  When I was
looking for help, it seemed that everything online was pointing me in
that direction.  You're the first person that I've "talked" to that
seems to think it's easy to do in Linux.

You said:
>twinview, DVI as the main screen.

Couldn't figure out how to do that in Windows or in Linux.