[mythtv-users] Moving my mythTV install to a new distro (Was: Importing recordings after losing entire database and reinstalling)

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 03:24:53 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, David Bennett <davidbennett1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, during my computer upgrade I manage to fry my hard drive (not
> the video drive, but the Linux Root)

I am in a very similar boat to yours.  I did an apt-get upgrade on the
weekend and somehow my server got hosed, with a bunch of kernel panics
and stuff on reboot!  The cause appears to be that glibc was upgraded
or something and there are bunch of binary dependencies that haven't
been met or that rely on an older version.  I managed to overcome the
kernel panic by disabling selinux at the grub screen, but so much of
my box is hosed I need to start again.

I am going from FC2 to Ubuntu (at this stage) but would like to be
able to keep the recordings on my /myth/recordings mount (which is on
a seperate HDD).  Can I simply export the mythconverg DB and re-import
it into my new Ubuntu mythTV when I get it up and running?  Should I
just export certain tables (I have messed up most of my theme
formatting too :P).  I imagine it is best to go from FC2 0.18.1 to
Ubuntu 0.18.1 rather than waiting for 0.19 to come out and import
metadata across different versions.

Can anybody give any advice?  I am quietly crapping my pants ;)

Thanks,
Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.