[mythtv-users] XP2100 outperforms my P4-3.2Ghz

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:43:36 UTC 2006

> > Why are you using a SMP kernel? I've never used a Dual Core processor, but
> > I'm guessing that even then you'd probably be better off with a standard
> > (optimized) kernel.
>
> I disagree.  Its hard for me to imagine any realworld situation
> where a smp kernel on a hyperthreaded cpu would not perform at least
> as well as a non-smp kernel.  And if you have a true dual core cpu,
> definately use it.  HT may only be a very modest improvement, but
> I have 2 machines with 2 Xeon HT cpus, and I set them both up for 4
> cpu smp support.

HyperThreading is a horrible kludge. It required every OS to rewrite
their process schedulers to not die context switching to an imaginary
processor. The Linux kernel claims to have a hyper threading aware
scheduler, but I've never been happy with it running on a loaded
server. With mythTV, you'll really won't notice any difference either
way, so just the standard kernel.

Like Brian said, dual cores are a different matter. You must run the
SMP kernel or your not using half the silicon.

However... back to the OP. cat /proc/cpuinfo  and  /sbin/lspci  and
post em if you're still having problems.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com