[mythtv-users] DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite vs HD3000

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 18 23:53:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:37:36PM -0500, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 10:04 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > MBE). The other caveat is to have solid backup power, because XFS's
> > aggressive caching might lead to random data corruption if your machine
> > suddenly loses power.
> All file systems will give you data corruption if your machine
> suddenly loses power (with standard PC's). With standard params
> ext3 will be a little better because it keeps puts a copy of the
> data being written in the journal before it writes it in the correct
> location, also as a security matter XFS will zero the bytes in a
> partially written blocks on fsck, while ext3 just leaves the corrupted
> block in place, which is often useful if the data is a text file.

Yes, should have clarified that, I guess. Of course all file systems are susceptible to data corruption when not cleanly brought down, but XFS is worse than others. I have some personal horror stories about XFS at work from this past week, in fact... :)

> AFAIK Except for ReiserFS, all other Linux filesystems will only
> corrupt files open for writing, so this isn't entirely random...
> However, files can include directories...

I've seen XFS filesystems with non-open-for-writing files corrupted also (again, just this past week -- 64-bit SLES9 SP3, for anyone that cares).

> For the video store, XFS and JFS are really the only reasonable
> options. For your main Linux partitions ext3 and ReiserFS can
> have some real advantages.

Eh, ext3 works just fine for me right now. Slight lag on really large deletes, but that's about the only issue. Haven't bothered tweaking the mount params to improve performance either, its good enough as-is.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com