[mythtv-users] DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite vs HD3000

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 18 18:04:09 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 06:49, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:29:31PM -0500, Michael Haan wrote:
> > Yes, there are two splitters between the source and the card - there is
> > also a cable modem and an amplifier.  You may be right that this is an
> > attenuation issue but the 3000 in the same rig with the same setup worked
> > almost flawlessly under a previous gentoo incarnation so that makes me
> > suspicious.  I am using reiser (just as I was before) - I could try
> > switching that but I'd need a recommendation for what to use.
>
> I'd still have the remote check on your cable line done.  Use XFS or JFS
> if you're going to be storing over 200 GB's in a single directory.  Both
> of these handle this situation well.  XFS for me has shown better
> results overall, but some people think JFS is more stable than XFS.

I can qualify that...

> I've been using both for years with no problems, so it's just opinion.
> Stay away from ReiserFS though at all costs if you're going to store
> more than 200 GB's in a single directory.

if [ $distro=="Fedora Core" && $kernel=="stock" ]
then
  echo "You have a 4kstacks-enabled kernel, and using XFS, especially in
conjunction with software RAID and/or LVM, is likely to lead to stack
overflows, which cause your machine to do Bad Things."
elif [ $kernel_stacks != 4k ]
  echo "XFS should be fine"
fi

:)

That said, I like XFS quite a bit myself, and have used it without a problem
on Fedora Core in the past (though I'm just using ext3 right now on my RHEL4
MBE). The other caveat is to have solid backup power, because XFS's
aggressive caching might lead to random data corruption if your machine
suddenly loses power.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls

--
Jarod Wilson