[mythtv-users] Missing header files LIRC on FC4

Luke lukes790 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:26:08 UTC 2006

> On Jan 18, 2006, at 5:49 AM, Luke wrote:
>

> On 18/01/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Jan 17, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Luke wrote:
> >
> > I have a situation here, while trying to compile and install lirc from
> > source on FC4.
> >

> >    - I have downloaded the latest kernel source for FC4 and it's
> >    installed at:
> >      /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel- 2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/
> >    - I made a symbolic link like so:
> >    ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14
> >    /usr/src/linux
> >    - running the script ./configure for lirc is successful
> >    - the make command generate errors, the first of which is:
> >    error: ../drivers/media/video/bttv.h: No such file or directory
> >    Further errors below that are probably due to the missing bttv.hand similar files.
> >

> > I know the so-called missing header files exist at
> > /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/drivers/media/video/* .
> > Where is make looking for the header files. This looks straight forward
> > but, I am lost. Any ideas?
> >

> > Well "make" is certainly not looking *there*, that's for sure. On my old
> > FC3 system bttv.h is located in /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/video/
> >
> > Where /usr/src/linux is a link to the proper kernel tree, as your's is.
> >
> > You could simply move the file to that place, but I'm betting that would
> > just cause a different error a little later when it failed to find the next
> > header that it wants.
> >
> > You could also make a link from the actual location of the "drivers" to
> > the similar position in the actual kernel tree, might work but it's
> > hackneyed.
> >
> > You could also look at the output of "configure" and see where it
> > *thinks* the headers are located, and either point it to the correct place
> > or link that place to the actual location.
> >
> > Of course, with recent kernel changes, the bttv.h file you have might
> > not be usable or correct for the version of LIRC that you have :-)
> >

> It appears this is a kernel 2.6.14. Since this is so new, there is no
> patch for it yet from lirc.org. Maybe I should wait for a patch.
>

> The kernel version per se shouldn't be a problem. I was running 2.6.14 on
> a Gentoo system that worked just fine with what they were calling lirc
> version 0.8.0_pre1 (before a HDD crash took the system down that is).
>
> Gentoo has a version " lirc-0.8.0_pre3" that is claimed to have
> modifications for the 2.6.15 kernel, all I know about it is that it does
> not appear to work with 2.6.14.
>
> But your header location problems should not be directly related to kernel
> version, more likely to a squirrely installation of kernel sources, a
> problem I've had with FC systems in the past.

Eureka! I have modified the following source file: /usr/src/lirc-0.8.0pre2
/drivers/lirc_gpio/lirc_gpio.c

   - Located following lines in the source file:

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,0)
#include "../drivers/char/bttv.h"
#include "../drivers/char/bttvp.h"
#else
#include "../drivers/media/video/bttv.h"         <========  the offending
line
#endif

   - Modified them to

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,0)
#include "../drivers/char/bttv.h"
#include "../drivers/char/bttvp.h"
#else
#include "bttv.h"   <=========================== modified line
#endif

   - Copied the files

/usr/src/linux/drivers/media/video/bttv*.h  to

/usr/src/lirc-0.8.0pre2/drivers/lirc_gpio/bttv*.h

That's it make && make install perform as expected. ls -lh /dev/lirc* yields
shiny new devices.