[mythtv-users] Changing width resolution for PVR-250/350's

f-myth-users@media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jan 18 01:04:29 UTC 2006

I noticed recently that my 18.1 Myth had a mix of 480x480 and 720x480
resolutions for the Default/LiveTV/High/Low capture resolutions.  I'm
using 250's & 350's (no HD) from an NTSC cable feed, and I tried
changing all four of Default/LiveTV/High/Low to 480x480, doing a
1-minute recording, and then changing them to 720x480 & repeating it.

I didn't see a noticeable quality difference, which might make sense
for a typical analog cable feed.  But I also saw a neglible change in
file sizes, too.  Is this the expected behavior?

(Naively, I'd sort of suppose so, because they -looked- the same.  But
I didn't restart mythbackend after each set of changes, and I'm not
sure if they take effect instantly or not.)

If I think I might be playing these back outside of Myth, maybe with
mplayer or something, would using 640x480 or some other size make for
a more reasonably-transportable setting?  Any other comments?

Given that it doesn't seem to make any difference, I'll probably
change these back to 720x480 just in case (since it doesn't seem
to make the files bigger, and, who knows, might help someday), but
if anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm listening.  (The HOWTO
mentioned this topic a bit, but didn't cover this, and unfortunately
"width", "height", "quality" and so forth are too vague to be getting
good search results back.)

Thanks!