[mythtv-users] some more RAID and HD speed questions

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:08:33 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 18:00, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ok, its running great, is there a way I can tell what my max speeds are?
>
> hdparm -t
>
> I'm sure there are more sophisticated benchmark programs around as well.
>
> > also is there anything that can limit drive use in a similar way as nice
> > can limit cpu usage?
>
> Do a search in the archives, I'm sure there have been threads
> discussing powering down the drive when not in use. It's also a pretty
> common requirement for laptops so there is definitely ways to do this.

well, that I'm not so worried about, I mean more along the lines of how nice
can limit a process from using cycles from higher leveled processes.

> > I'd like to be able to copy some shows over the network to my other
> > machine but to limit this such that no write operations are missed.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much. The disk throughput requirements of MythTV
> are actually pretty low compared to the capabilities of modern
> machines.

well that depends on what your doing... I need to be able to record 2 HD
streams and 1 SD stream as a base, being able to playback an HD stream and
copy a file to another computer, but I'd like to be able to give priority to
the write operations to make sure I don't get any corrupted data due to high
usage.

--
Thanks!
Steve