[mythtv-users] Missing header files LIRC on FC4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 17 23:03:32 UTC 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Luke wrote:

> I have a situation here, while trying to compile and install lirc
> from source on FC4.
>
> I have downloaded the latest kernel source for FC4 and it's
> installed at:
>   /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel- 2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/
> I made a symbolic link like so:
> ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14  /usr/src/linux
> running the script ./configure for lirc is successful
> the make command generate errors, the first of which is:
> error: ../drivers/media/video/bttv.h: No such file or directory
> Further errors below that are probably due to the missing bttv.h
> and similar files.
>
> I know the so-called missing header files exist at /usr/src/redhat/
> BUILD/kernel-2.6.14/linux-2.6.14/drivers/media/video/* . Where is
> make looking for the header files. This looks straight forward but,
> I am lost. Any ideas?

Well "make" is certainly not looking *there*, that's for sure. On my
old FC3 system bttv.h is located in /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/video/

Where /usr/src/linux is a link to the proper kernel tree, as your's is.

You could simply move the file to that place, but I'm betting that
would just cause a different error a little later when it failed to
find the next header that it wants.

You could also make a link from the actual location of the "drivers"
to the similar position in the actual kernel tree, might work but
it's hackneyed.

You could also look at the output of "configure" and see where it
*thinks* the headers are located, and either point it to the correct
place or link that place to the actual location.

Of course, with recent kernel changes, the bttv.h file you have might
not be usable or correct for the version of LIRC that you have :-)