[mythtv-users] Looking for high WAF in-wall speakers!!

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Jan 17 21:48:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 15:28 -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> Why is it that Bose can use those tiny little cube speakers for there
> flag ship product, but their in-wall speakers have to have a 8 3/4" by
> 6" face plate?

The sub-woofer provided with the surround sound system makes it possible
to use small speakers for everything else. My understanding is that for
the low wavelength sounds in the bass range, the ear cannot really
detect their origin, so there is little point in surround-sounding those
frequencies (at least, that's what the manual that came with my system
says). Thus the surround sound for only high frequencies that can be
adequately reproduced with the cube speakers. Seems to work as the
surround sound effect works pretty well.

For stereo you could also use a sub-woofer I suppose and have cube
speakers for the separated speakers, but that's usually considered
overkill because it would require three speakers instead of two.

--Greg