[mythtv-users] PVR-350 & 500 in same box, sound issues

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 17:19:00 UTC 2006

--- Intense Red <intnsred at golgotha.net> wrote:

>  > When using the PVR-350 MPEG decoder, the sound
> comes
>  > out the breakout connector on the card.  You'll
> need
>  > to loop the sound to your sound card (as
> discussed in
>  > the archives to death) and configure the mixer
>  > correctly.
>
>    Thanks Joe; yes, that is set up correctly
> (PVR-350 piped into the sound
> card, sound card then piped out to the TV) and was
> working -- until I added
> the PVR-500.
>
> --
>  Dear Diary: I recompiled my OS kernel today.
>  Why?  Because with GNU/Linux, I can!

Try updating to the latest ivtv driver (0.4.2).  There
was previously some issues with DMA which were causing
sound from recordings made on PVR-350 cards to lose
sound.  The most obvious way to see if that is the
cause is that you can't even try to change the volume
in MythTV (pressing Vol+/Vol- go completely ignored) -
at least that's the symptom I saw.

Otherwise, make sure you have the latest firmware and
that MythTV is properly configured for your cards
(there was a change in ivtv 0.4.1 or 0.4.2 that
changed the names/numbers of the inputs - when I
upgraded, I had to re-run mythtv-setup).

It can work, because I have the same setup (PVR-350
and PVR-500), and with ivtv 0.4.2 everything is
working fine.

-- Joe