[mythtv-users] Mythbackend Server Consideration

MythTV mythtv at pearsall.us
Tue Jan 17 16:00:12 UTC 2006

I have a current server that was previously my Windoze desktop for the
BE-only that periodically crashes (whole server not Myth) that I have been
troubleshooting for months.  I've replaced literally every component and ran
every memory and burn-in test I can find and still have crashes that vary
from weekly to monthly with no pattern I have been able to recognize.

At this point I'm starting to think I just have combination of cheap
components that are causing the crashes.

I have an old Dell server with 512MB RAM, dual 450Mhz CPUs and about 30 GB
of SCSI HW RAID5 disk.  I'm thinking of installing to the SCSI RAID5 and
then adding IDE drives for storage (maybe with HW RAID) and making this the
BE.  My thinking is this box has higher quality parts so my instability
should go away.  I would put in my2 PVR150s and HD3000.

Does this sound reasonable?  I assume the CPUs will be fine for recording,
but slow to commercial flag and the occasional transcoding I do.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd