[mythtv-users] LIRC Problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 17 15:39:53 UTC 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Colin Smillie wrote:

> On 1/17/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>

> I don't know where FC4 stores these options but it looks like you
> have found the LIRCD spot, but you have put the LIRC option there.
> Try putting the character device from a "ls -al /dev/lirc*" listing
> in the LIRCD opts and testing with irw.
>
> Looks like you are very close though.
>

> The problem I have is that there is nothing in in /dev/lirc*, my ls
> -al /dev/lirc* shows:
>
> [root at turtle ~]# ls -al /dev/lir*
> ls: /dev/lir*: No such file or directory

Well at least we know why it isn't working :-)

I have not kept up with the FC* systems, or any RPMs associated with
it, but a couple of questions?

Are you running uDev?

Is lirc support in your kernel as modules or compiled in?

Is auto-loading of modules enabled in your kernel?

If lirc is modular, have you installed the proper kernel modules?
(On my system the lirc-i2c modules need to be installed and lircd
needs to be started before the /dev/lirc* devices will be there)
(modprobe lirc-i2c & /etc/init.d/lircd start)

If your system is starting lircd *before* the module is loaded this
might be your problem.

Are you running ls -al /dev/lirc* as root?
(if not, the devices may be there but you do not have permission to r/
w them)

If the devices still do not show with the module loaded and lircd
started, look at the udev rules and permissions files and check that
things look right there.

I would guess that any RPM installation of lirc would need to take
care of the udev stuff for the devices but you never know. If the
lirc version in the RPM was not compiled with i2c support then the
devices would likely not be there.

Looks like your problem is specific to FC4 and the RPMs for lirc though.