[mythtv-users] Intermittant high disk activity

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Tue Jan 17 00:20:53 UTC 2006

I had this problem when my machine was "fresh out of the box" as well. I found that setting mythfrontend suid root fixed that. Not perfect from a security standpoint, I know... but the box is well defended behind a firewall and its own internal firewall.

Another possibility is memory. Or possibly something that's running in the background.

Oh, one other possibility would be filesystem in use on the video partition. I've found (through trial and error) that XFS is by far the best filesystem to use on the video partition for general use. It deletes instantly, almost never seems to get fragmented or "busy" and generally is a nice FS to use. I tried ReiserFS (kept trying to rewrite journals while I was trying to watch TV) and ext3 (fragmented too easily for my tastes)... though I've been led to believe from a friend of mine that you can use an ext2 partition for buffers so long as you keep 'em below 2Gb. That apparently works well.

As mentioned before, it could also be MySQL... but to be honest I doubt it. Normally MySQL is pretty solid and doesn't just randomly do stuff unless you tell it. However, I wouldn't rule it out.

Gavin