[mythtv-users] Setting up an FAQ for LiveTV changes

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:32:11 UTC 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 00:55, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:29:39 -0500
>     > From: Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com>
>     >
>     > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> ...and your point is...?
>
> If you were trying to say, "there's already a centralized place where
> this info can go," I never said there wasn't, and I don't think anyone
> involved in this discussion thought there wasn't, or didn't know where
> it already was.  If it was "and the information Jens wants to write
> about is already there," then a more-specific URL would have been in
> order.  If it's "I have refuted everything you've said with a single
> pithy one-liner," then you've missed the point entirely---which was my
> attempt to defend Jens (who'd volunteered to do a nice thing and was
> asking for suggestions that would let him to a better job more
> quickly) from pithy one-liner snipes that seemed to be trying to
> discourage him from doing just that.  I'm going to assume that I've
> just misunderstood you (and, for that matter, that everyone, including
> me, simply misunderstood the intent of Craddock's original message),
> and let's move on.  Let's please not let one ambiguous brief response
> get in the way of someone trying to make things nicer for everyone.
>
> (And -way big kudos- to Michael Dean for that impressive list of URLs!
> That's a really great set of topics, all in one message, and I hope
> it all winds up in Jens' FAQ---should stamp out of a lot of random
> questions all in one shot, especially when 19 is released and everyone
> who hasn't been reading -dev and maybe not even -users tries it and
> would otherwise get really confused... :)

it wasn't a direct reply to your email but to the thread, more so a reminder
that the new MythTV Wiki is up, and those who wish to support MythTV by
writing helpful FAQ's etc should take advantage of it.

The links and all that were posted are great information, and even if the Wiki
entry is just a bunch of links to sources of information right now its still
a great way to archive this information for further MythTV users.

In all, anyone that has an issue and has found a solution are encouraged to
make a writeup at the new Wiki to help any future MythTV users that may
encounter the same issue. There is a hardware section, create a page for the
piece of hardware such that someone, if not you, can write up a full page on
getting said hardware setup for MythTV.

As for the a LiveTV FAQ about the changes, Its a great idea, but also don't
forget that there is a user manual, and this will need to be updated as well.
I think we would all love to see both come to fruitition with what may well
be a shortly upcoming 0.19 release.

--
Steve