[mythtv-users] Scheduler Not Resolving Conflict

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jan 16 14:16:56 UTC 2006

Derek Battams wrote:
> The scheduler has marked Letterman in conflict for tonight, even though
> it could resolve the conflict by choosing a later showing of Colbert.
> If I add a manual override and force the later showing of Colbert to
> record then the conflict resolves itself.  Why doesn't the scheduler
> fix the conflict itself?  Judging from what I see, the scheduler should
> have recorded the 2am Colbert on Tuner 2 to allow Letterman to record
> at 11:35pm.

Bruce will probably chime in with a detailed and spot on analysis but my
quick glance leads me to believe that it did not bump Colbert because it
is a higher priority than Letterman.  There is a checkbox in the setup
for rescheduling higher priority items which I believe would allow the
scheduler to resolve this automatically.  It is not enabled by default
because it is assumed that you want higher priority items to win over
lower priority and record sooner even if there is a later showing.
Imagine if Fox was running 24 again on Monday before the next new
episodes (like Lost does) and it bumped 24 on Sunday to recording
something else knowing that it could record later and left you screaming
at your friends at work on Monday to quit talking about the show because
your PVR decided not to record it when it aired...

If you enable the checkbox, it will resolve the conflict but understand
the possible consequences.

Kevin