[mythtv-users] Wanted: Australian modes for 720p

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jan 15 12:46:30 UTC 2006

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I now have a TV (DLP rear projector) that is native 1280x720.
> Does anyone have good modelines for this?
>
> I have a settopbox which delivers 720p50 (on RGB) and the
> TV is very happy with it. For starters I want my machine to do
> the same, before changing to use DVI output (the TV has HDMI
> input).
>
> So far I found one modeline that looked like it should work
> but the nvidia (binary) driver hands after displaying the
> logo (a bit torn often). I will try to downgrade from
> 1.0-8187 next.

So what, no Australians on this list using a 720p TV?

Here is what I have so far. Using RGB (VGA cable) I found
that this modeline has the correct horizontal parameters:

Modeline "720p50" 81.168 1280 1784 1824 2136 720 752 754 760 +hsync +vsync

However, vertically I can adjust correctly for the bottom
but I loose too much (about 30 pixels) at the top. I could not
raise the size (760) any higher (the TV shows nothing then).

The TV can also do the equivalent 60Hz, with the same geometry
issues (vertically trimmed):

Modeline "720p60" 81.53  1280 1400 1440 1788 720 752 754 760 +hsync +vsync

Trying DVI is even harder. It seems that the HDMI input
is accepting the data fine (1280x720) but always displays it
with all four sides badly trimmed. The TV simply ignores the
blanking periods (which is expected as it has no use) so I
have no control over the size or position of the image on the
screen.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
	attach .zip as .dat