[mythtv-users] Unknown Symbol __libc_csu_init

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 15 00:41:01 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 03:30:05PM -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>

>>2 questions:
>>
>>1)   Has anyone run across a problem where mythbackend and mythfrontend
>>fail on launch with an error "Unrecognized symbol '__libc_cus_init'"  ??
>>
>>I made svn version 8529 about Monday evening and it failed with that
>>error, after making cleanly.
>>I downloaded and made svn version 8565  and it similarly failed.
>>This was on both the desktop machine AND the mythbox at home.
>>
>>2)   How can you tell *exactly* which revision you are running?  After
>>the prior problems, I was browsing and saw a reference to dependency
>>errors caused by yum, and ended up at atrpms, so I installed smart and
>>did an update/upgrade. Myth was one of the packages which was updated
>>among the 600Meg of download.
>>
>>NOW, mythbackend and mythfrontend start cleanly. The status tab reports
>>version 19-20051208-1. The latest rpm at atrpms is the 18.1-117 build.
>>SO, did running smart actually 'downgrade' from the then installed svn
>>version?  (I put downgrade in quotes, since it was actually a step
>>forward!).
>>
>>I'm going to try again with svn 8602...but any assistance/ideas would be
>>appreciated.
>>

>Don't mix rpms and self-build bits (the usually land under
>/usr/local), you're not going to be happy. While ATrpms' 0.18.x has a
>fresh date, it is from a different branch of what is usually refered
>to as svn. There is also a stable release-18-fixes branch that ATrpms
>is using. Your svn will be off the tip of the repo.

Thank you Axel. I knew about the 'not mixing' problem, but I was
*already* unhappy!  Luckily mythtv-suite installs to /usr/bin while I
have prefx=/usr/local in my svn builds. So I can actually run the 2
different versions "simultaneously" (so to speak!...As it happens I have
/usr/local/bin first in $PATH so I have to be careful!).

Yesterday, I downloaded and built svn 8602 on this machine, the desktop
and it failed with the error.
I then did a 'smart update/upgrade' to this box and it worked.  I now
realize that due to the $PATH environment, it called the svn version.
But both versions run correctly if I specify the executable absolutely.

Today, I brought in the mythbox and undertook the same process. In
addition I did a 'smart reinstall glibc*' which repaired/reinstalled the
libc-2.3.5.so library with one having the same date (August 2005) but a
different size. The libc library contains the ofending symbol.
Myth fails the svn version on this box. The install was essentially a
'make install' of the svn tree which I had made on the desktop and which
I tar'ed and transferred over on a usb stick.

So I am presently undertaking a 'make clean' and full 'configure, make
&& make install' of svn 8602 on the mythbox. Extremely weird that one
should work and one should fail....
Still no answer as to what happened either.
The only odd thing about running the rpm version is that it reports
"modulationulation QAM_256 is unsupported" (sic)

The rpm reports its version on startup, or at least the date
18.2-20051227-1. The svn version does not report on startup although a
date is available through 'Information -> Status'... 19.1-20051208-1....
which is way out of date!

Geoff