[mythtv-users] Live TV recording as if it was a scheduled recording

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Sat Jan 14 20:47:13 UTC 2006

> > I still cannot find an answer to the question:
> > What are the features we gain here?
> > not even rereading  those answers three times.
> >
> Here's one.  You're surfing, you watch a show, catch the last 5
> minutes.  The show changes to a movie, you watch 2/3 of the movie and
> fall asleep because you were so tired from working your day job.  You
> wake up, groggy, exit LiveTV, go to bed.  You wake up and wish "man, I
> would love to watch the end of that movie I missed."

I see,

I don't have this habit, so it didn't occur to me, but thanks
for the answer. This is really all I have been asking for all the
time (Yes, you can check the archives ;-) )

> Is that enough of a reason for you?

Well, I don't need it, but I am sure it is enough.
Just wish this "feature" would be optional.

> Fact is, the product is designed to be used as a dedicated PVR.  If you
> are choosing to use your disk space for other things, then that's fine,
> but it is unlikely that feature creep will occur enhancing just your
> ability to do that.

Changing the scale of that timer value from days to hours is hardly "feature"
creep.

> Myth already has settings for reserving X amount of
> disk space which should be enough to give you a comfort zone for your
> other activities on the partition.  While you might not think one more
> checkbox or a few lines of code matter, each one adds a tiny bit to the
> clutter and complexity of the system and sometimes, it is better to
> leave it out when already existing features can meet the same need.

The MythVideo plugin just asks for the usage in my earlier postings
though.

Dag