[mythtv-users] Live TV recording as if it was a scheduled recording

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Sat Jan 14 20:41:03 UTC 2006

> > Whats wrong with switch to delete after channel
> > change?
> >
> Perhaps nothing, but then, no one has submitted such a patch.  I would
> venture that most working on this project do not use their myth boxes or
> specifically, their media partitions, for anything other than Myth so
> the complaints of filling the disk and/or space consumption are
> irrelevant.  MythTV does a perfectly good job of managing that disk,
> freeing space when needed, and it even has settings for you to use that
> will reserve disk space and never touch it if you do happen to need it
> for "other projects".  For all the complaints prior to this change about
> why Myth can't save an in progress recording, when the solution is
> implemented, it simply garners more complaints which I can only imagine
> frustrates those who spent their time working on this at the request of
> users who asked for it.

That patch is perhaps not trivial as there might be timing issues
involved when switching shows (this is already a problem), but
setting the time limit with hour resolution is probably a lot easier.

Reserving space is not good as Myth just might need that space
at a time when it is not needed for other projects.

And I completely agree with the idea of being able to save a complete
show by pressing record, but is there any use for the older  LiveTV recordings
?

Dag