[mythtv-users] Live TV recording as if it was a scheduled recording

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Jan 14 20:19:03 UTC 2006

John Andersen wrote:
> On 1/13/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >

>>> I do feel that an option 'Delete LiveTV Recordings when changing
>>> channel' would be useful for many people.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Theres no need for it, all those little files can be hidden from view by
>> default and get deleted when room is needed automatically.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>>

> Just more crap to back up, requiring larger backup
> devices, and wade thru while looking for something.
>
> There is no defensible reason to fill a disk with trash
> just because you can delete it later when you need room.
>
> Some times people want room for other short term
> projects without having to hunt up all their ring buffers
> and delete them.
>
> I would have though that it was becoming obvious
> by following a few of these threads that this is
> a very unpopular feature.
>
> Whats wrong with switch to delete after channel
> change?

Perhaps nothing, but then, no one has submitted such a patch.  I would
venture that most working on this project do not use their myth boxes or
specifically, their media partitions, for anything other than Myth so
the complaints of filling the disk and/or space consumption are
irrelevant.  MythTV does a perfectly good job of managing that disk,
freeing space when needed, and it even has settings for you to use that
will reserve disk space and never touch it if you do happen to need it
for "other projects".  For all the complaints prior to this change about
why Myth can't save an in progress recording, when the solution is
implemented, it simply garners more complaints which I can only imagine
frustrates those who spent their time working on this at the request of
users who asked for it.

Kevin