[mythtv-users] Improving picture quality

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 14:23:37 UTC 2006

On 1/14/06, mike choy <mike at acaciaclose.co.uk> wrote:
> After much thinking
>
> I have come to realize that the trick to improve quality is to reduce
> the number of times the picture is scaled manipulated
> Lets assume that I have a PAL DVB picture of  704X576 50hz which is
> coming down my dvb capture card.
> I want to output to a digital display using DVI.
>
> Here are the number of times the picture gets scaled.
>
> 1.MythTV scales the picture according to the parameters in its playback
> settings
>                 -deinterlace
>                 -aspect ration overide
>                 -GUI/TV size
> 2.xv scales the picture to the org.conf display resolution
> 3. The nvidia driver does some internal scaling
> 4. The digital display device scales to the device parameters
>
> My current strategy is to set the Myth and Xorg resolutions to be the
> same as my display device
> there by all the scaling that goes on before the display is only done by
> a factor of 1.
>
> have I got this right?
>
> Mike C

Mathmatically speaking, sounds about right.  Will it actually make
your image look better, it's hard to say, but I doubt you'll see
*vast* improvements; but I guess it really depends on what your
picture looks like (what is 'poor' about the quality of the picture)?

Is it blocky, fuzzy, have lines through it, lots of glitches, pause a lot...

Chad