[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Burning an MPEG2 file that is too large

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:24:04 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am trying to burn a MPEG2 recording exported by nuvexport, but it is
too large to go on a single layer disc!

I remember just the other day reading about a linux command line tool
that can reduce the bitrate of a mpeg2 file.  All you had to do
basically was tell it what factor to reduce it by, such as '2' would
halve the effective file size, '1' would be pointless and '1.2' would
make it 20% smaller.

I know I could just change the quantisation (sp???) factor in
nuvexport, but I am keen to find this command line tool I stumbled
across the other day.  (Yes, I checked my history and google search
history too, but no luck).

Any help is appreciated.

Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.