[mythtv-users] Starting Up

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Fri Jan 13 13:56:46 UTC 2006

> I've recently been given a PC (specifications below) and am looking at
> installing Linux (probably Fedora or Ubuntu) and then setting up MythTV.
> I'd
> love to have it as a backend and then setup the script for a front-end on
> xbmc as I use xbmc quite a lot and would like to keep that.
>
> However, I'm concerned with the specifications of the PC and would like
> your
> thoughts before I get going (I expect further down the line I'll get a
> separate server as at the moment I've only got a couple of 40Gb hard
> drives
> in the PC therefore a total of 80Gb - I don't think my motherboard will be
> able to cope with anything higher than 40GB looking at the Intel website):
>
> Intel Pentium IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
> Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2  (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM) Motherboard
> Motherboard Chipset: Intel 82440BX
> System Memory: 512 MB  (SDRAM)
> BIOS Type: Phoenix (11/05/99)
> NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro  (32 MB)
>
> Since I'm living in the UK, I'd also like to connect to Freeview and
> wondered what the best capture card would be (I presume WinTV Nova-T)?
>
> I don't really want to start if 600Mhz isn't going to be enough. Is there
> any way around this and will I be able to watch live tv as well as
> pre-recorded tv?

I guess a 600 MHz CPU will be ok. I have a frontend installed on a 600 MHz
notebook and it is on the edge when watching MPEG4 recordings, so for MPEG2
it should be ok.
Note that a 40 GB harddisk will only store around 20 hours of recording and
using both harddisks for recordings would require joining them with LVM.

Niels Dybdahl