[mythtv-users] Starting Up

MR M T Golledge markgolledge at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:34:41 UTC 2006

I've recently been given a PC (specifications below) and am looking at
installing Linux (probably Fedora or Ubuntu) and then setting up MythTV. I'd
love to have it as a backend and then setup the script for a front-end on
xbmc as I use xbmc quite a lot and would like to keep that.

However, I'm concerned with the specifications of the PC and would like your
thoughts before I get going (I expect further down the line I'll get a
separate server as at the moment I've only got a couple of 40Gb hard drives
in the PC therefore a total of 80Gb - I don't think my motherboard will be
able to cope with anything higher than 40GB looking at the Intel website):

Intel Pentium IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2  (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM) Motherboard
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 82440BX
System Memory: 512 MB  (SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Phoenix (11/05/99)
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro  (32 MB)

Since I'm living in the UK, I'd also like to connect to Freeview and
wondered what the best capture card would be (I presume WinTV Nova-T)?

I don't really want to start if 600Mhz isn't going to be enough. Is there
any way around this and will I be able to watch live tv as well as
pre-recorded tv?

Thanks,