[mythtv-users] Ubuntu alsa sound & apt-get update concerns

Mike hometeamnats-a at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 03:42:48 UTC 2006

Hopefully the last time I'll need the excellent help this list provides to get this box up and running...  I'm a long time Red Hat user, but switched to Ubuntu for my second myth box (which has been a great move so far, for simplicity and thanks to Daniel Hyams' excellent page.) I have two remaining issues yet to be worked out:

1. Volume control - This new install won't be hooked up to a stereo, so I need to get volume control working. Sound is running through ALSA right now, as by default, but there seems to be no effect of changing volume through mythfrontend (remote or keyboard.) How do I go about fixing this?

2. OS updates - On my FC4 system, I've hosed ivtv, lirc, and a number of other kernel-dependent packages when I do the yum updates from time to time.  I assume Ubuntu apt-get update will have the same effect a times.  Because this is just a myth box on an isolated network, I'd rather just disable the update announcement and do updates manually when there are significant myth or related releases. Any myth-related reason _not_ to do that?

Thanks again for all the help that this list has provided in getting these systems working.