[mythtv-users] Changing mythtv resolution to match HDTV output?

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:39:33 UTC 2006

All,

I recently purchased a new TV with 1080p capabilities (HP md5880n) and was
looking for advice on how to set up mythtv to get the best image /
performance at the HDTV resolutions.

Based on the capabilities of the TV, I can feed it a 480p, 720p, and 1080p
signal (and I'm assuming a 1080i signal as well, but not sure if that is
relevant).  I have a DVI to HDMI cable to feed it and have confirmed I can
send these three resolutions from my nVidia FX 6800 (mythtv box).

Based on my understanding of mythtv, I have the option of setting it up to
use different resolutions based on what is being played back and another
resolution for the GUI.

I would assume this would work out as:
    1080i source -> 1080p output to TV
    720p source -> 720p output
    480i source -> 480p output
    GUI -> 1080p output (probably doesn't matter much which resolution to
use for this)

Is this how people use this capability?

Is it better to have mythtv feed different resolutions to the TV based on
the source being played (and have the TV scale), or is it better to have
mythtv feed the highest resolution always (with mythtv scaling)?

I have heard via this list that having mythtv feed a different resolution
(than the source content) will impact the performance since the myth box
will need to scale the image if it isn't the same resolution.  I have an
Athlon XP 3200+ and it has problems keeping up with HDTV (if I don't use
XvMC, which I would prefer not to use), so CPU performance is probably my
top concern. Does the CPU perform the scaling or does the video card?
Anyone have any ideas on quantifying the impact?

Thanks,
phlepper

--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I
understand.  --  Confucius