[mythtv-users] digital sound output

Mike Schiller mdschiller.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:21:47 UTC 2006

I've had substantial problems configuring my motherboard's (Asus k8n-e
deluxe with the nvidia ck804  + rt alc850) sound output to work
properly.  I see others have had problems with this setup, and I'm
torn as to whether I should invest even more time to document the
problem and make a proper post requesting help, or if I should simply
move on to another sound card.  To test the waters, I was hoping some
folks out there could let me know if they had trouble configuring any
of the following 7.1 channel spdif capable sound cards:

1st Choice
----------
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Sound Card
Model: SB0610    <-------- Is this a new model?  I couldn't
                           find much info on it
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7293822&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01053&id=1118841165481

2nd Choice
----------
Turtle Beach CATALINA 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface
Sound Card - Retail
Model #: TBS-3430-01
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829118106

3rd Choice
----------
Turtle Beach TBS-3300-01 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface
Montego DDL Sound Card - Retail
Model #: TBS-3300-01
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829118109

Please note, that specifically, I'm looking to have xine or mplayer
pass the surround sound from a dvd (or a dvd imported by mythtv) to my
stereo over the optical (or coax for the soundblaster) spdif output,
and I want the stereo output from recorded programs to go to my stereo
over the same optical cable.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.  Also, any .asoundrc files or
tips would be greatly appreciated!

--Mike