[mythtv-users] MythTV Happy Land WAS=Re: Software RAID5 no improvement to transfer speed...

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:12:25 UTC 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 10:45, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2006, at 8:19 AM, Steve Adeff wrote:
> > weeee! except for my strangely high CPU usage everything is working
> > wonderfully!
>
> Are you using an nVidia card with their 1.0.8178 drivers? This is a
> common problem. I solved it by commenting out "load glx" in
> xorg.conf, but there are other (and better?) solutions.

I'm using 7676, but this brings up a good question, what Modules do I not need
on a dedicated Myth frontend? and if I can disable anything I don't need, I
figure I should right?

So I've spent some time playing with what Modules get loaded and what NVIDIA
settings work best for me. I was able to get my Xorg CPU use down from ~25%
to <15%, it sits around 5% now, occasionaly jumps as high 10%, I saw it hit
14.7% at one point, but I think that was an anomoly.

So I'm pretty happy now. Here's the relevant sections of my xorg.conf file for
anyone that wants to play around. I would highly suggest spending the time to
see what settings work best with your GPU, setup, etc. as these may not work
best for you!

First, what made the MOST difference, this is at the end of the xorg.conf
file:
Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite"     "1"
        Option  "RENDER"        "1"
EndSection
I previously only had one on, never both. This made a big difference.

Then, my Extensions, I basically turned everything "off", went one by one to
see what I needed, I don't do the 3d stuff (yet) so I disabled those for now
as well...
Section "Module"
#       Load  "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor
#       Load  "GLcore"
#       Load  "dbe"
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
#       Load  "glx"
#       Load  "bitmap" # bitmap-fonts
#       Load  "type1"
#       Load  "freetype"
#       Load  "record"
EndSection

and finally my Device section for nvidia (7676) driver.
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "nvhdtv"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "All"
        BoardName   "All"
#       BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "False"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
        Option      "NoLogo" "False" # I like the pretty logo =)
        Option      "DPMS" "False"
        Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"      "TV"
        Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite"     "False"
        Option      "RandRRotation"     "True"
        Option      "Coolbits"  "False"
        Option      "HWCursor" "True"
        Option      "SWCursor" "False"
        Option      "CursorShadow" "False"
        Option      "DPI" "100 x 100"
EndSection

oddly enough, RandRRotation needs to be on! Setting it to False makes my Xorg
CPU usage go way up!

--
Steve