[mythtv-users] Software RAID problems - the unspokenmythtvproblem?

Andy Alsup aalsup at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:45:54 UTC 2006

for what its worth, I am using 2 firewire "encoders" with a local 7
drive raid5.  I am using latest ATrpms on FC3.  kernel 2.6.12 smp.

 I have had no problems with simultaneous HD recordings (even starting
at the same time), and the performance seems to be better than my old
2 drive LVM configuration.

My system:

P4 3.2  (with HT)
1 G RAM
2 onboard SATA ports
3 ATA/133 cards with 2 channels each -- one drive per channel
6 x wd2500  (woot's 250 G drive)
2 x Hitachi SATA 250 G
2 x on-board Firewire capture

6 ATA and 1 SATA make the raid5, and the other SATA is root.  /dev/md0
is formatted XFS for 1.45 TB

The only RAID problem I had was one of the WD drives dropped off, not
bad, just needed a reset.  The system hung twice during the subsequent
rebuilds.  Added the drive back, and its all happy now.

No recording problems at all.  I actually stopped getting glitches in
my HD records (part due to better RAID performance, part due to no
longer running commercial detection)