[mythtv-users] Questionaire: What do you have yourcasepowerbutton do?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:55:17 UTC 2006

James C. Dastrup wrote:

>>>I have an IR keyboard. The BIOS is configured
>>>to power-on with any key-press.  I programmed my remote to send
>>>the key-presses from my keyboard. That's also how I send all other
>>>commands. I don't use LIRC at all on the front end.  My keyboard
>>>is  always put away and I only need it if I'm working on that
>>>computer for some other purpose.
>>>

>>That's a neat idea.  Was it hard to find a keyboard and remote that
>>share the same protocol?
>>

>All of my programmable remotes, a cheap-o $10 one, a $60 one, and
>a $250 Harmony 880 are able to learn and send the commands from my
>Fentek IR keyboard.  I never even thought there would be a problem,
>but I suppose maybe other keyboards or other remotes may not work.
>
>Although, it is a real PITA to get the commands working properly.
>Too often, the commands are sent too much or not at all, so I've had to
>re-learn every command several times until it was perfect. I think the
>reason has something to do with the repeat rate in a keyboard, but
>possibly something deeper into the protocol. But now, every signal is
>sent every time just right.
>
>Someday I'd like to use LIRC to read the keyboard's signals, then clean
>them up in lircd.conf, then send them with LIRC back to a learning
>remote. I think this may help solve the trail-and-error method I did.

eh, my power button just shuts down the system right now.  I think using
it as killall mythfrontend is a good idea generally, and let the BE shut
down your system.  I never use the power button on my system though
because I just use a couple of shortcuts on the desktop to shut down or
restart if needed.
The machine is just set so that it will always shut off at 2:30am using
the shutdown command with time option and then power back on at 9:00am
using the BIOS RTC alarm.  The computer runs all day until 2:30 am but
when not recording it runs in such a low power state that it's fine not
to shut it down.  Shutting down the HD's, the graphics card output, and
using athcool on the processor, the system uses much less power than a
windows machine would in standby (not suspend to RAM).
I would love to get STR working on my linux box because then pressing
any key would have the same effect to me as powering on the system,
except it would be instant-on.  Unfortunately, STR conflicts with one of
my drivers and can't unload the kernel module.  I was gonna write a
quite two liner that unloads the module and then reloads it on wakup but
just haven't got to it yet.