[mythtv-users] Washed out colours.

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:42:41 UTC 2006

Joseph Faisal Nusairat wrote:

> I noticed the colours seem pretty washed out.
>
> Is that because of the video card more or the PVR-150??

Lot of things, because you have the recording picture pofiles setup in
mythtv, which you can adjust while watching live TV if you want (I think
hit 'g' or whtever key you mapped it to on your remote) and then you can
adjust brightness, contrast, tint, etc, there in mythtv for recording
pictures.  Then on top of that, you can also adjust these settings for
watching recordings; it just applies some settings to the stream coming
through to your TV.  After that you of course got your TV brightness
contrast, etc.
So, you can get in a situation where all three, or mainly just the
recording colors and your external TV colors, are competing. For
instance, if the TV contrast needs to be turned up because your mythtv
contrast is way low, it's going to look really bad.  My experience is
use the TV controls to make your linux desktop look nice and vibrant
outside of mythtv, or to make the mythtv gui look nice, same thing.  Get
a picture with a bunch of compementary colors and maybe a person in it
Then adjust the mythtv recording colorspace, and you'll be sure that
this action is compensating for you tuner only and not tuner + TV.  If
the tuner is bad you can only go so far but you can improve beyond what
you think is acceptable, I'm guessing.
Raphael