[mythtv-users] SVN mythtranscode

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Jan 12 07:28:15 UTC 2006

> > compression or is it mpeg2 -> mpeg2 lossless only now. I ask as using the
> > -m switch (which should turn ON lossless) creates a file the same size as
> > without it. I'd expect a larger file with it.
>
> Not an answer but another question, I'm afraid. From what you say am I
> right in thinking that the mythtranscode planned for 0.19 allows you
> to transcode large MPEG2 --> small MPEG2? That would be great as
> 0.18.1 doesn't let you do that.

Haven't seen anyone reply to this yet so I will.  Notice he said 'lossless'.
The MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding in SVN is for cutting only, it does not
re-encode the frames (except around the cutpoints I believe).  So, the
space savings from using it are because you get to cut out those 20 minutes
of commercials out of every hour of show and if you're using TS files,
you may save space since the output format is PS.

--
Chris