[mythtv-users] question about RAID

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 02:24:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 19:03, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:18:12AM +0900, David Bennett wrote:
> > Here here! I second that.,.. can -F be added after an array is created?
>
> The -F option isn't "added" to the array.  It's a mdadm run-time
> argument that tells it to check the array for errors.  The -F option
> isn't useful (and may even be illegal) during the array creation phase.
>
> You would typically either create a cron job that does
> 	/sbin/mdadm -F -s -1
> periodically, or more typically you would have a system start-up script
> that runs
> 	/sbin/mdadm -F -s -f -i /var/run/mdadm.pid -m root
>
> The first version tells mdadm to check the array only once, and output
> the status on stdout (which cron then emails to the crontab owner).  The
> second version tells mdadm to daemonize (-f) using the specified pidfile
> (-i /path/to/pidfile) and explicity provides an email address (-m root)
> for the resulting status messages.
>
> In both cases, the -s option tells mdadm to look for *all* RAID devices
> even if they aren't in the config file.

which would be why it wouldn't let me use it... and the Debian mdadm package
comes with a init.d script for mdadm monitoring which makes all that stuff
easy.

one thing I will note, is to remember to make the partition type "Linux raid
autodetec" in cfdisk for the partitions you will use in the array.

and I logged my lessons to a RAID writeup on the wiki,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/RAID

please look over it and make any corrections/changes that need to be done.

--
Steve