[mythtv-users] 1080i content and xv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 12 00:27:46 UTC 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 5:08 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:

> Can anybody out there playback 1080i content (captured over
> Firewire from a DCT-62xx) to a VGA monitor using xv?  I have tried
> three different NVidia driver versions, (7667,7676, and 8174) and
> all three exhibit slightly different versions of the same problem.
> When playing back 1080i content, the image is split into two - like
> having double vision.  It is almost as if one field is being played
> on the left side of the frame while the next plays on the right side.
>
> The problem is duplicated whether I use VLC, mplayer, or MythTV for
> playback.  I can get normal playback if I use the " -vo x11" option
> with mplayer, but then my CPU can't keep up.
>
> My specs:
>
> - P4 630
> - FC4 w/  smp kernel.
> - DCT-620x Firewire capture
> - old 32MB GeForce3 video card
>
> If anybody has had experience with this problem, any feedback would
> be greatly appreciated.  Searching has so far yeilded few results.

1080i is an interlaced format (that what the "i" stands for). What
you describe sounds like a progressive display trying to deal with
the interlace and doing a poor job of it. Which output of your nVidia
card are you using (VGA or SVIDEO/Composite)? Does it look OK with 720p?

I know pcHDTV suggests using xine for playback, and I notice that's
not one that you mentioned.

I've had good luck with 720p HD video but around here we have only
one digital OA channel and they don't transmit 1080i very often.

Maybe I'll stay up late and check it out when "Letterman" airs in
1080i :-)