[mythtv-users] Suspend options with mythtv

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Jan 11 20:04:03 UTC 2006

On January 11, 2006 03:51 pm, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> >HI everybody,
> >
> >I've been thinking about the things that still bother me about my mythtv
> >setup, and the worst one is definately boot time on the frontend.  It
> > takes my P3-733 a couple of minutes to boot fully in to mythtv.
> >
> >I was hoping that some sort of hibernation/suspend to disk setup would
> > help me with this.
> >
> >Does anyone out there do this sort of  thing?  Any mythtv related caveats?
> >How about root over NFS?
> >
> >My system has a hard drive that I boot from, and then spin down.  I
> > suppose I could spin it back up to do the suspend to disk...
> >
> >How much faster would a resume be than a full boot?
> >
> >Mark
>
> I've done this using Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net/) and it works just
> fine suspending to disk. Definitely speeds up the boot-up process.
>
> I haven't been able to get it working with my P3 HT frontend, since it
> doesn't seem to like SMP, although it's supposed to work.

Thanks for the reply.  I was looking at suspend2, but having to unmount my nfs
root drive first kind of scared me.  Wouldn't that mean I have to stop all of
the services before suspending, then restart them on resume.  That part takes
up most of the boot time doesn't it?  Would I gain anything?

Mark