[mythtv-users] Playing back PVR500 recordings on PVR350 decoder

Ole Andre Schistad oschista at chello.no
Wed Jan 11 19:54:15 UTC 2006

Les Gondor wrote:

>Ole Andre Schistad wrote:
>

>>I recently added a PVR500 to my existing mythtv box, and am hoping there
>>is a way to play back all recordings using the hardware decoder chip on
>>the 350. My primary reason for this is simply that mpeg2 looks much
>>better when output through the HW decoder than when played back in
>>software, although I am also experiencing some problems getting sound
>>when using software playback (complains about my alsa settings).
>>

>I have also added a PVR500 to an existing PVR350 combined frontend/backend. As far as I know, all
>recordings use the hardware decoder regardless of the original source of the recording. The
>mythsetup program enables this when the checkbox for 'Use PVR350 hardware decoder' is checked (the
>wording is probably different; I'm not at home right now).

Yes, you're all quite right, my mistake was that since I could hear no
sound I assumed that the recording was not being sent through the
on-chip decoder. I've since determined that the actual problem is that I
am not getting any sound in the recordings I make on the PVR500 tuners.

So I guess it's time to compose an email to the IvyTV lists and see if
any kind soul can help me get sound working on a setup which *ought* to
work. I can after all record with sound on my 350 using the same driver
and firmware. *Sigh*. The fight goes on, I guess.

Cheers,

Ole Andre