[mythtv-users] "Nvidia decodes H.264 in hardware"

Alex stangage70 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:45:53 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> any idea what they will be using? I don't know much of these things, so
> how
> will overlays work with the newer cores?

The traditional overlay would handle YUV to RGB conversion, scaling, color
control, and keying.  I don't have in depth knowledge of the nVidia
architecture.  However I would expect most of this is now accomplished using
programmable 3D functionality.  The trend is to now render in source
resolutions and then scale just before output.  Microsoft has much to do
with arrangement.

Newer cores will have less fixed function overlay support, relying on
compositing with the 3D engine instead.