[mythtv-users] Can MythTV ignore the keyboard and only use a remote?

Schlaegel vthtym0505 at schlaegel.com
Wed Jan 11 08:13:28 UTC 2006

On 1/10/06, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> I take it that this is the only PC you will be using? Anyway, the
> recording part of Mythtv is handled by the 'backend' and the display
> (selecting what to record, playing it back etc) is handled by a seperate
> 'frontend' program. Note that only the frontend takes user input, be it
> from keyboard or remote control.
>
> This means you can keep the backend part of mythtv running in the
> background all the time and only fire up the frontend to select what to
> record and to view previously recorded shows. The backend uses the pvr350
> encoder section to grab the shows and put them onto disk. The frontend
> uses the decoder section out to the TV for displaying stuff. Whilst its
> doing that, there is no reason why you shouldn't run other (normal PC)
> stuff in another virtual screen.

Yes, this is the only PC I will be using. MythTV will primarily be
used for Live TV viewing, not recording shows. My desire is to have
the MythTV frontend functioning at the same time I am working at my PC
utilizing my keyboard, mouse, and screen. I know that the 350 allows
me to have separate independent screens, but am unsure of whether I
can have MythTV ignore my keyboard and mouse, or whether it is lean
enough to not get in the way when it is showing live TV (pause, 30
second skip, ...) on my PVR 350.