[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: receiver input buzzing/humming

matthew.garman@gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 02:22:59 UTC 2006

I've got a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver that receives input from (among
other places) my mythtv box. This is an analog input: the cord is a
male 1/8" stereo plug (PC side) that splits into two RCA connectors
(amp side).  The motherboard is the Chaintech 7NIF2.

Recently, I've noticed that when I'm not playing music or watching
TV (i.e. silence), there is a distinct buzzing/humming sound coming
from the speakers. The sound is barely noticeable at the "-40.0"
volume setting, and quite pronounced by "-30.0".

I've tried messing with the volume levels on the PC; it does not
make a difference in the buzzing. I've tried re-seating both ends of
the cord (to no avail).

Note that when I switch input channels on the amp, the buzzing goes
away. So I tried putting the RCA plugs into a different input---no
help.

For what it's worth, the buzzing sound is the same as if I pull the
1/8" plug out, and touch it to my finger---I'm sure this is a
familiar sound to many people.

My guesses are that either the cable is bad (it's an el-cheapo,
don't know where it came from) or the input jacks on my PC are
crummy or not properly grounded. This sound is the kind of sound I
would expect when my plug isn't properly seated, but, as I said,
I've tried seating and re-seating it several times (across the
different outputs), and still have no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my next steps to further debug
this problem?

Thank you!
Matt

--