[mythtv-users] Anyway to tune a channel > 125 on pvr-150?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 01:09:08 UTC 2006

--- "Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers.42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:43:52 -0800 (PST)
> Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > > --
> > > Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42 at gmail.com>
> >
> > I don't have a digital package (I'm still on
> analog
> > myself), but I would think that MythTV can go
> higher
> > than channel 122.  If you're using a satellite
> dish or
> > digital cable, then you should ideally be using
> the
> > S-Video input on your capture card, rather than
> the
> > coaxial.  If you are using the coaxial output on
> your
> > STB, then you should be keeping the channel in
> MythTV
> > set to a constant (3 or 4, depending on the STB).
> >
> > Either way, you should be using an IRBlaster to
> tell
> > the STB to change it's channel.  Program guide
> > information should be coming from your MythTV
> > designated source, not the STB.
> >
> > I suppose that it's possible that Dish STBs also
> > broadcast the channels on analog as well out of
> the
> > STB (much like some digital cable providers do),
> but
> > I've never heard of that (though it wouldn't
> surprise
> > me).
> >
> > -- Joe
> >

> Input is on s-video.
>
> That's why I want to be able to tune past channel
> 122, so I can get the
> MythTV Program Guide info on shows.
>
> If I punch in, using either a wireless keyboard or
> remote, anything
> other than 2 - 122, it stays on the channel MythTV
> is set to. If I try
> to scroll past channel 122, it scroll right back to
> channel 2.
>
> Once I get the small kinks worked out, I will look
> into an IRBlaster.
> Right now, I'm just trying to reliably work, use,
> and record with my
> MythTV box.
>
> --
> Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42 at gmail.com>
> Registered Linux User #96112
> ICQ#:     AIM#:       YAHOO:
> 18002350  mailman452  mailman42_5
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
> little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor
> safety.
>         Ben Franklin - 1759

Rodney,

In order to get MythTV to change the channels, you
need the IRBlaster configured and in there.
Otherwise, with MythTV configured to listen on the
S-Video input, you'll always get the same channel,
unless there is a serial port on your STB and a script
for using it to change the channel.

Do you have channels in MythTV defined outside of the
range of 2-122?  If not, then MythTV won't change to
them.  It will only try to change to channels that are
in the SQL database.

So, to get things working, it sounds like you need to:
1. Get the proper channels in the MySQL database
(using mythtv-setup, and the correct ZIP code in your
DataDirect settings, if you are in North America)
2. Get the IRBlaster working so that MythTV can
actually tell the STB to change channels.  Otherwise,
you'll always be watching the same thing.

-- Joe