[mythtv-users] OS X & MythFrontend 0.18.1 with plugins

Matt Hannan matthannan1 at cox.net
Wed Jan 11 01:09:00 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> As much as it pains me to help you after the treatment I received from
> you...
I do hope you are joking.

> The problem is that you aren't able to connect to the MySQL database.
Actually, it turns out that the MySQL stuff is fine. It is bombing out
because it can't find any themes!

> Unfortunately the OS X frontend doesn't fail gracefully in that
> situation. However, if you launch it from a terminal, you'll see error
> messages.
>
> PBG4:~/Desktop/MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS bderman$
> ~/Desktop/MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
> 2006-01-10 19:10:27.666 Using runtime prefix =
> /Users/bderman/Desktop/MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/Resources
> 2006-01-10 19:10:27.677 New DB connection, total: 1
> 2006-01-10 19:10:28.130 Total desktop dim: 1280x854, with 1 screen[s].
> 2006-01-10 19:10:28.143 Running in a window
> 2006-01-10 19:10:28.147 Using screen 0, 1280x781 at 0,22
>
> etc.
>
> If you're only getting the MythFrontend.app application then you don't
> have any of the plugins (like you were complaining about before).
> You'll need to either compile the plugins yourself or download a dmg
> containing all the plugins like from http://thesniderpad.com
Yes, yes. I know all that. And I am grabbing the "broken" dmg from
thesniderpad.com, stable, not SVN.
What is odd is that the no-plugins version fires up with no problem and
lets me choose between Blue or G.A.N.T.
OK, so I just copied the sniderpad MythFrontend to Applications, from
where Myth was running with the non-plugin version, and it still does
not work. Bombs looking for themes.

> I'm assuming you are running backend on a different machine. If you
> download pre-compiled binaries you need to make sure the protocol
> versions match up. If they don't, you'll see something like "Protocol
> version mismatch (frontend=22,backend=15)" when trying to use a recent
> SVN frontend with 0.18.1 backend.
Nope, but good detective work.

> If you are having problems establishing a connection to the backend,
> make sure MySQL on your backend is accepting remote connections
> (search the forums). If you can login from command line on the machine
> you're running front end from (search the forums), follow the
> instructions in the link you referenced to set up the database
> parameters correctly in FrontEnd.

All of that is fine. I have 018.1 running on a Suse box as a remote
frontend. Not noob. Just not a Mac guy. ;-)
And I think there is an issue with the "stable" build at thesniderpad.com.
How about the SVN builds? Are they current or this mysterious 0.19 that
folks are talking about?

Thanks for your help, Brad. Seriously. You seem a level headed person.

Matt