[mythtv-users] Realtime Priority; limits.conf with pam-0.78 on gentoo

Rickard Borgmäster doktorn at sub.nu
Tue Jan 10 23:16:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

I looked at MythTV setup docs to see about the "new" way of giving
frontend realtime priority, instead of running it SUID:

I've done exactly as stated, but I get this errors that indicate that
something is wrong:

Jan 11 00:00:01 htpc pam_limits[7390]: unknown limit item 'rt_priority'
Jan 11 00:00:01 htpc pam_limits[7390]: unknown limit item 'nice'
Jan 11 00:00:01 htpc pam_limits[7392]: unknown limit item 'rt_priority'
Jan 11 00:00:01 htpc pam_limits[7392]: unknown limit item 'nice'

Kernel is 2.6.15 om amd64 so it shouldn't be too old.

This is my limits.conf, in which you can see that the neither the
rt_priority nor the nice item keyword is stated.

# cat /etc/security/limits.conf
# /etc/security/limits.conf
#
#Each line describes a limit for a user in the form:
#
#
#Where:
#<domain> can be:
#        - an user name
#        - a group name, with @group syntax
#        - the wildcard *, for default entry
#        - the wildcard %, can be also used with %group syntax,
#                 for maxlogin limit
#
#<type> can have the two values:
#        - "soft" for enforcing the soft limits
#        - "hard" for enforcing hard limits
#
#<item> can be one of the following:
#        - core - limits the core file size (KB)
#        - data - max data size (KB)
#        - fsize - maximum filesize (KB)
#        - memlock - max locked-in-memory address space (KB)
#        - nofile - max number of open files
#        - rss - max resident set size (KB)
#        - stack - max stack size (KB)
#        - cpu - max CPU time (MIN)
#        - nproc - max number of processes
#        - as - address space limit
#        - maxlogins - max number of logins for this user
#        - priority - the priority to run user process with
#        - locks - max number of file locks the user can hold
#
#

#*               soft    core            0
#*               hard    rss             10000
#@student        hard    nproc           20
#@faculty        soft    nproc           20
#@faculty        hard    nproc           50
#ftp             hard    nproc           0
#@student        -       maxlogins       4

# MythTV Realtime fixes
*               -       rt_priority     0
*               -       nice            0
@audio          -       rt_priority     50
@audio          -       nice            0

# End of file

Am I missing something here? BTW, I'm on MythTV-svn built yesterday.

Best regards
Rickard Borgmäster