[mythtv-users] Video cards that can smoothly handle HD displaying without tearing

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Jan 10 10:54:40 UTC 2006

Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com> says:
> I've got a Sempron 64 3100+, running Nvidia driver rev 7667, with 1080i
> output over DVI, and have only some very slight tearing, which is
> consistently about 20% down from the top. Load is reasonable.

What Nvidia video card? I've previously written here of a very similar
tearing (I described it as shimmering) issue with my 6200 TC, and am
very curious to hear of those who *aren't* seeing such issues with HD
content. I have read elsewhere that a 6600GT is just fast enough to
handle the displaying; it's also possible that a 5200 (which, I
understand, has some hardware overlay features that the 6xxx-series
cards don't support with current Linux drivers) would also work well
in such a scenario, but I don't know. (If that's true, I'd also be
curious about whether the $50-70 PCX 5300--the only 5200-like solution
that would work on my PCI Express setup--would be a suitable modern
replacement. Since I don't intend to play modern games on my MythTV
box I'd rather go that route than pay $130 for a 6600GT.)