[mythtv-users] question about RAID

chris@cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Jan 10 07:33:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:53:31PM -0500, Steve Adeff wrote:
> If I can add drives in after initial creation, I could add in more of my
> 320gig drives I have with other media on them, increase write speed a bit and
> not worry about losing the other data as well.

You can't increase the number of active devices in a RAID-5 (mdadm)
array because the distribution of data and parity is set when the
array is first created.  To increase the capacity of the array you
would need to increase the capacity of all of the constituent
devices, "grow" the array to take up the extra space and then resize
the hosted filesystem.

carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)