[mythtv-users] Centralized NFS (NAS?) video partition

David Bennett davidbennett1979 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:21:34 UTC 2006

Please allow me to apologize for the mangling I am about to do to the
following terminology. I am still feeling my way around Linux and know
what I want to do, just am not sure how to go about doing it (or if it
is possible.)

I have been getting some help with some software RAID problems I have
been having, and after reading many of the responses I have been
inspired to rework my system.

Here is what I would like to do:

I would like to develop a storage system that can:

1) have enough bandwidth/speed (whatever) to be used as the /video
partition on a mythtv system with 3 tuners.
2) have security (in the raid  / storage sense)
3) Be accessible by my home network (windows / mac / linux)

Obviously #1 is most important. This needs to be able to be my /video
partition for a fairly intensive 3 tuner system (ie three concurrent
recordings and maybe viewing on a frontend.) (4 streams)

Is this possible to do with NAS (I am guessing that NAS is referring
to the device, and NFS is how they link together?)

I would like to have my mythtv/music/videos on a storage system that
is accessible to my network and can be put in a RAID array. I am not
sure what to do. Should I be looking at throwing a whole bunch of my
drives in my backend and nfs'ing (samba? or is that different) to my
windows/mac?

Is there a more elegant solution to have just the storage somewhere
and hook it up via a network? (can 10/100 handle this or do I need to
switch to giga-something networking?) (currently my mac watches mythtv
over my wireless .g network and it works great!)

Is another solution to have this storage system connected to the
backend and have the other computers on the network access it by
network? (ie. the heavy loads will be directly through a sata or scsi
connection, whereas the light loads will remain on the network)

Does any of this make sense?
Any advice, direction, tutorials, RTFM (with a link to where the FM
is!) would be fantastic.

thank you kindly,
david