[mythtv-users] Fwd: Sempron 3100 lag when viewing HD from 6200 STB

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 10 03:51:41 UTC 2006

Steve Adeff wrote:

>On Monday 09 January 2006 21:06, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>>Adam Propeck wrote:
>>

>>>I find it frustrating that this is a Linux only issue. If I had
>>>trouble playing an 1080i stream on a Windows box with a 3 ghz proc,
>>>I'd go crazy. Why is it that Linux has so much trouble with this? I
>>>would think that it would be an easy thing like enabling the correct
>>>video driver or something. I thought maybe my AGP GART stuff could
>>>have been set incorrectly or something.
>>>

>>Blame ATI.  On Windows you are probably working with accelerated
>>drivers.  ATI has no such counterpart for Linux.
>>
>>Kevin
>>

>but apparently I'm using too much CPU with an nvidia card...

Nvidia isn't any better unless you're using XvMC.  I've got a GeForce
6200 in my windows box (Athlon 1800) and it dies playing a 1080i content
clip I have for testing.  Play it with the Nvidia Decoder trial from
their website, and it is rock solid playback.  I'm guessing that no
matter what, unless your video card drivers are *really* supplying the
accelerated playback, you're always going to suffer until you get
excessive CPUs.

Kevin