[mythtv-users] Partly OT - recording DCT-6412 content via firewire onto Linux box.

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 03:51:41 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 22:03, N Dugas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to get my Gentoo box (new Myth box in process of being
> built) to be able to see my DCT-6412.  Recently, I recorded a PPV and
> would like to x-fer it to my PC to offload some PVR content (to make
> space for my series recordings).  Until now, I've been able to play back
> the content and use test-mpeg2 to record it.  With this PPV, I get a 0
> length file.  For fun, I stoped playback of my PPV recording and changed
> channel.  The file size started increasing.  Is there a way for me to
> tell if my recording is protected and therefore will not play over the
> firewire port?
>
> On the same note, could I record a PPV when I order it with Myth instead
> of on my 6412?
>
> Thanks,
> Norm

Have the channel/recording you want to extract playing, Power off, hit select
immediately, go to d11 and see what 5C is set to, only 0 will let you
transfer over firewire to a PC. You might be able to transfer a live PPV
while a recorded one you can't as well...

You won't be able to take advantage of dual tuner over firewire, as all
firewire does it output what you send to the TV, so your best off with a
single tuner HDTV cablebox and no DVR functionality for Myth use.

--
Steve