[mythtv-users] question about RAID

chris@cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Jan 10 01:18:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 03:44:05PM -0700, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> Also note, I don't believe you can boot off of a md RAID 0 drive, so you'll
> need another driver (or network boot) for your boot partition.

The mdadm tools will build arrays out of partitions, so you can
divide up your disks to cover all the bases.  For example, if you
only have two physical drives, you could create a RAID-1 array using
/dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1 (making /dev/md0) and install the root
filesystem on it.  You would then create a RAID-0 using /dev/hda2 and
/dev/hdc2 (making /dev/md1) for the recordings.  LILO will install
and boot on RAID-1 as long as there is only two disks.  Now if either
drive dies, all you lose is the recordings.

carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)